Dielectric characterization of algal biofuel feedstocks
127 Upson Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853
msb294 (at) cornell.edu
Michael Bono is currently developing a method to measure the lipid content of algae cells in suspension via dielectric spectroscopy. More generally, he is interested in the combination of mechanical engineering with other disciplines to develop devices with applications in medicine and energy technology.
Michael Bono joined the Micro/Nanofluidics Laboratory in December of 2009. He graduated from Union College in June of 2009 with a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering and minors in Visual Arts and Mathematics. As an undergraduate, Michael investigated aerogel recipes, microstructures, and applications at Union’s aerogel lab. He also developed educational tools for a general education engineering course and was part of the planning team for a proposed LEED-certified building on campus.
Michael is a member of Tau Beta Pi, Pi Tau Sigma, Sigma Xi, the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, and the American Chemical Society.
Current projects include dielectric characterization of algae suspensions for the development of a rapid lipid monitoring system.
Honors and Awards
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship, 2010
- NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program, Honorable Mention, 2010
- Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship, 2008
- American Electric Power Scholarship, 2008
- Raytheon/FIRST Robotics Scholarship, 2007 and 2008
- Daniel F. Pullman Engineering Prize, Union College, 2009
- Presidential Green Grant, Union College, 2008
- Eagle Scout Rank, 2005
B.S.M.E. 2009 – Union College, Schenectady, NY, Mechanical Engineering, summa cum laude with departmental honors
- Bono MS, Anderson AM, Carroll MK (2010). Alumina aerogels prepared via rapid supercritical extraction. Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology 53:216-226 DOI
- Anderson AM, Carroll MK, Green EC, Melville JT, Bono MS (2010). Hydrophobic silica aerogels prepared via rapid supercritical extraction. Journal of Sol-Gel Science and Technology 53:199-207 DOI
- Bono MS, Ahner BA, Kirby BJ (April 2013). “Quantitative in situ measurement of algal lipid content via dielectric spectroscopy.” Division of Analytical Chemistry oral session on Characterization of Algal Lipids at the 245th ACS National Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Bono MS, Rhoads K, Ahner BA, Kirby BJ (March 2012). “Dielectric measurement of algal lipid content.” Division of Analytical Chemistry oral session on Challenges in Algal Biofuels: Biochemistry, Lipid Extraction and Analysis at the 243rd ACS National Meeting, San Diego, California.
- Bono MS, Kirby BJ (March 2011). “Microfluidic dielectric spectroscopy of particle and cell solutions.” Division of Analytical Chemistry poster session at the 241st ACS National Meeting, Anaheim, California.
- Bono MS, Anderson AM, Carroll MK (March 2009). “Aerogel catalysts prepared via rapid supercritical extraction.” Division of Colloid & Surface Chemistry poster session at the 237th ACS National Meeting, Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Bono MS, Anderson AM, Carroll MK (April 2008). “Fabrication and characterization of alumina aerogels made via rapid supercritical extraction.” Poster session at the 22nd National Conference on Undergraduate Research, Salisbury, Maryland.
- Green EC, Melville JT, Bono MS, Anderson AM, Carroll MK (April 2008). “Characterization of hydrophobic silica aerogels prepared via a rapid supercritical extraction method.” Division of Inorganic Chemistry poster session on Synthesis and Characterization of Materials at the 235th ACS National Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Bono MS, Rhoads K, Ahner BA, Kirby BJ (June 2011). “Dielectric measurement of algal lipid content for biodiesel production.” Oral presentation at the 11th New York Complex Matter Workshop, Syracuse, NY.
- Ghaly A, Bono MS (April 2007). “Computer graphics models showcase engineering to liberal arts audience.” Oral presentation at the Tech Valley Engineering Symposium, Troy, New York.